Friday, September 7, 2012

A sad summer

Well, it's been a while since I posted here.
Stored the boat here on the front lawn for the winter and when I checked her in the spring I found that the chain plates were all loose. There was about a quarter inch travel up and down in their slots. Not good. I was going to fix all that over the summer but too many other projects came up that had to be done so there she sat. I did buy the stainless steel to make new chain plates in the middle of the summer. Last week I finally had time to design the new look. Today I took them into the machine shop at my school and the shop teacher helped me CNC machine the new chain plates. I will then through-bolt these new plates onto the outside of the hull with backing plates that will be glassed onto the inside of the hull to give them more structural integrity. The old chain plates will also be left in place to add to the rigidity of the new setup.

 The old chain plate still on the boat.  This will be cut down and then epoxied over.



The blanks for the new chain plates and backing plates ready to be milled.


In the CNC milling machine.  The bottom end has a nice fleur de lis on it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment