Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The guides are coming along.

So, today I worked on the new keel guides some more.  I've decided to go with metal 1.5" square tubing in which I milled a 5/8" slot on one side.  A friend of mine managed to get me some ( I think they're teflon) 2" wide by 1/4" thick strips of a plastic (teflon?) that they use as the slides for truck trailer axles.  I cut them to 2 pieces 47" long and 1" wide and 4 pieces 1/4" wide to line the inside of the metal pieces.  Today I got as far as drilling and tapping all the holes and priming the metal bits. It's a much slower process than I originally thought it would be but I really don't want to have to do this again within the next decade or two so I'm going to take my time and do it right. Of course, I'd much rather be sailing.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment